Jan 20, 2010

Cute Taxidermy

As a general rule, I'm not a big fan of taxidermy. Seeing majestic animal heads hanging proudly on someone's wall just isn't my thing. I'd much rather see those beautiful creatures alive and well and doing what nature intended them to do, which in my opinion wasn't being shot, killed and made into art. When I was a little girl there was a family in our neighborhood who lived in a split level house and as you walked in their front door, they had the most enormous moose head I have ever seen hanging right there on the wall between those two short sets of stairs. You were virtually smacked in the face with its huge brown nose the moment you entered. Overkill to the max. I also can't quite see myself having a beloved dog or cat done after they've passed as it would just make me terribly sad to see them every day and not be able to interact with them or cuddle their warm little bodies, but that's just me.

There are, however, exceptions to every rule and I think that odd or really bad taxidermy can be fun. I'm not talking about the endless parade of squirrels with beer cans in their hands or dressed like cowboys complete with tiny six shooters, but the really out there specimens: those that have been done by folks with really twisted senses of humor, artists who "work" with dead animals, or those folks for whom the art of taxidermy is simply not their calling. I happen to think this little cat is adorable. With her tiny crown, satin dress and forest of twigs, she brings a whimsical almost fairy tale sense to what is in reality a poor deceased kitten. But she's cute. This sort of stuffed animal makes me smile.

Photo is from morbidanatomy and appears here courtesy of crappytaxidermy.com. Many thanks!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin